Art and Music
The arts are integral to education. Art and music is offered at all grade levels in the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District, with instrumental music expanded at elementary schools. Theatrical arts is offered at all elementary, middle and high schools.
Through the arts children learn cooperation. They take risks socially and creatively, leading to bonding as a group and to innovation as an individual. For students struggling with language skills, the arts provide a time to shine free of language constraints. For those challenged by traditional teaching methods, the arts can provide another way with which to solve problems, a hands-on approach or even a full visceral experience. Plus, for most kids, the arts are fun!
Here is a brief overview of current programs.
Elementary music – MPUSD students in 1st through 6th grades have weekly music classes, year round and perform for full school events at least twice a year, with additional performances likely. In 4th, 5th and 6th grades, instrumental lessons are available to those who are interested. Instruments taught include flute, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, baritone, violin, cello, and guitar.
- TK and Kindergarten have a less structured music program that includes singing and movements to songs about seasons, places and feelings.
- TK and Kindergarten also have dance. This helps them develop large muscle control, moving with a group in space, feeling tempo, isolating movements, and expands the range of movement in growing bodies.
- 1st and 2nd grade visual arts include an introduction to shape, line, texture, form and color. Students interpret their environment and themselves through drawing, painting and collage.
- 3rd grade has dance with the Tandy Beal Dance Company – Students use dance and movement to problem solve. Students perform dances they create with the support of a team of international dancers.
- Grades 4 and 5 have an arts integrated environmental science series called Eco Ambassadors. Science illustration, school yard mapping and exploring the habitat around us are featured aspects of Eco Ambassadors.
- An after school musical occurs and is open to grades 1st through 5th.